Vox: Why did you decide to become a regular blood donor?
Facts about blood donation
• You can give blood every 56 days.
• Plasma and platelet donations are collected every two weeks and are done in the same way as regular blood donations, however, booking for specialist donations such as these is essential.
• Platelet and plasma donations are universal and can be used for all patients regardless of their blood type.
• Specialized donations are used in particular for oncology patients.
• Donors of blood groups A and AB are particularly encouraged to donate platelets and plasma.
• The blood donation centers have a monthly target of 60 specialized donation units.
• Regular blood donation boosts immunity because new red blood cells are generated every 56 days.
For more information or to become a blood donor, visit the Benoni South African National Blood Service at 42 Fourteenth Avenue, Northmead.
READ ALSO : Vox: Do you think it’s time to put an end to wearing masks?
READ ALSO : VOX: Do you think it is necessary for teachers to be vaccinated and why?