Giving blood is an act of solidarity. Join the effort and save lives
World Blood Donor Day takes place on June 14 every year. The Day was created for:
- raise global awareness of the need for safe blood and blood products for transfusion;
- emphasize the essential contribution of voluntary and non-remunerated blood donors to national health systems;
- assist national blood services, blood donor organizations and other nongovernmental organizations to strengthen and expand their voluntary blood donation programs by strengthening national and local campaigns.
The day is also an opportunity to call for action on governments and national health authorities to provide adequate resources to increase blood collection from voluntary and non-remunerated blood donors and to manage access. blood and transfusion for those in need.
Blood and blood products are essential resources for the effective management of women with bleeding associated with pregnancy and childbirth; children with severe anemia due to malaria and malnutrition; patients with blood and bone marrow disorders, hereditary hemoglobin disorders and immunodeficiency states; victims of trauma, emergencies, disasters and accidents; as well as patients undergoing advanced medical and surgical procedures. The need for blood is universal, but access to blood for all who need it is not. Blood shortages are particularly acute in low- and middle-income countries.
To ensure that everyone in need of a transfusion has access to safe blood, all countries need voluntary, unpaid blood donors who donate blood regularly. An effective blood donation program, characterized by broad and active participation of the population, is essential to meet the need for blood transfusion in times of peace as well as in times of emergency or disaster, when there is a increased demand for blood or when the normal functioning of blood transfusion services is affected. While a social and cultural atmosphere conducive to strong solidarity facilitates the development of an effective blood donation program, it is also widely recognized that the act of blood donation helps create social ties and build a united community.
Focus of this year’s campaign
For 2022, the slogan for World Blood Donor Day is “Blood donation is an act of solidarity. Join the Effort and Save Lives” to draw attention to the role voluntary blood donation plays in saving lives and building solidarity within communities.
The specific objectives of this year’s campaign are:
- thank blood donors around the world and increase public awareness of the need for regular, unpaid blood donation;
- emphasize the need for committed blood donation throughout the year, in order to maintain an adequate supply and ensure universal and rapid access to safe blood transfusion;
- recognize and promote the values of voluntary and non-remunerated blood donation in strengthening community solidarity and social cohesion;
- raise awareness of the need for increased investment from governments to build a sustainable and resilient national blood system and increase collection from voluntary non-remunerated blood donors.
A particular activity that countries around the world are encouraged to implement for this year’s campaign is to disseminate through various media stories of people whose lives have been saved through blood donation in order to motivate regular blood donors to keep donating blood and motivate healthy people who have never donated blood to start doing so.
Other activities that would help promote this year’s World Blood Donor Day slogan may include donor appreciation ceremonies, social media campaigns, media specials, social media posts featuring individual blood donors with the slogan, meetings and workshops, musical and artistic events to thank blood donors and celebrate solidarity, and coloring iconic landmarks red.
Your involvement and support will help ensure greater impact for World Blood Donor Day 2022, raising awareness around the world that donating blood is an act of solidarity that saves lives and that services providing blood and safe blood products are an essential part of any health care system. The participation of interested partners is welcome at all levels to make World Blood Donor Day 2022 a global success.
Host of World Blood Donor Day 2022 Events
Mexico will host World Blood Donor Day 2022 through its National Blood Center. The global event will be held in Mexico City on June 14, 2022.